A Conveyance Allowance is paid to a parent/carer to assist in costs of driving their child to and from school or a pick- up location.
Parents/Carers should note the following regarding conveyance allowance:
- SBS will determine which form of transport assistance will be offered to a Parent/Carer.
- No payment is made for travel prior to the school term in which the Conveyance Allowance is approved. For example: if a conveyance allowance is approved from Term 2, 2013, a claim made for Term 1, 2013 or any other previous period will not be considered.
- It is not paid to a parent/carer who drops their child off at school on the way to work.
- It is a contribution towards the cost of fuel, tyres, repairs and maintenance of a private vehicle, and the amount payable is indexed annually.
- If a student has been withdrawn from a bus service due to behaviour issues and the parent/carer is receiving a conveyance allowance to drive that student to a pick-up location, the Conveyance Allowance may also be withdrawn.
Could I claim for a student attending kindergarten for half days?
Yes, when a kindergarten student attends kindergarten for half-days, a conveyance allowance may be provided for a return trip at midday.
How much will I be paid and when will I receive my payment?
- The payment is calculated using the number of days a student actually attends school, multiplied by the kilometres travelled and the conveyance allowance rate of 25.24 cents per kilometre (effective from Term 3, 2022).
- Conveyance Allowances are paid in arrears as a lump sum at the end of each school term.
- Only one conveyance allowance will be paid per family.
- Conveyance Allowance payments will be audited on a regular basis.
- Should an overpayment occur for any reason, SBS will seek to recover the amount overpaid.
When will I receive my allowance?
Claims received during a term may take at least 10 working days and during busy periods at the end of each term, may take at least 15 working days to process from the claim submission date.
Claims received during a term may take at least 20 working days and during busy periods at the end of each term, may take at least 25 working days to process from the claim submission date.
We thank you for your patience during the claims processing periods above, particularly busy periods due to the increased volume of claims received.
To minimise and avoid further delays, please make enquiries following the processing periods.
How do I apply?
Please complete an online application form for Transport Assistance.
How do I claim my allowance?
To claim a conveyance allowance, a parent/carer must submit a completed Conveyance Allowance Claim online form at the end of each term and submit it for SBS evaluation and calculation of the appropriate amount.
Claim forms should be submitted to SBS at the end of each school term.
What happens if there is a change in our details?
If a student’s circumstances change (contact details, emergency contact details) then a Change of Details form must be completed.
Please note that changes to address, school, medical condition or custodial details, will require the parent/carer to complete a new online application form for Transport Assistance.